The Village Health and Sanitation Committee (VHSC), renamed as GKS is one of the nine institutional mechanisms under National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), a body facilitating all village level development programmes. Formed at the revenue village level, Gaon Kalyan Samiti (GKS) is envisaged as a community level platform designed to facilitate public health related activities.
The Project was implemented by NRHM with Information Education and Communication (IEC) support from State Institute of Health & Family Welfare (SIH&FW). Technical support and assistance for multi-sectoral coordination was provided by Technical and Management Support Team (TMST) supported by Department for International Development (DFID), UNICEF and UNFPA, Departments of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Youth Affairs and Sports, Women and Child Development, Information and PR and Revenue, Directorate of Field Publicity, Song and Drama Division, Doordarshan and All India Radio.
The Gaon Kalyan Samiti (GKS) got a fillip when Orissa launched a focused, high impact Communication Campaign on 26th January that ran in all 30 districts of the state for one month, succeeding in meeting all its targets related to awareness, formation of GKS and opening of bank accounts by its members. This one month project (January 26th-February 25th 2009) witnessed formation of 11, 010 GKS, 20, 104 opening of bank accounts.
The objectives were to:
- Involve stakeholders and community to create supportive environment for GKS formation
- Create awareness on maternal and child health services, family planning, adolescent health, environmental sanitation and hygiene
- Initiate action for managing health related issues and problems
- Plan and prioritise activities and implement them through available funds
- Address issues and gaps to facilitate formation of GKS at grassroots level
To encourage village members to form GKS, the Communication Campaign was launched as a simple and effective management structure at the lowest level comprising of representatives from the village and used innovative and strategic implementation strategies like branding of campaign by using logo, theme song etc to create high level impact. Partnering of various Government departments, private and public sector banks, convergence of facilitation committees contributed a lot for this grand success.
New Concept undertook the task of documentation of the activities, design and layout, and printing of 200 copies of the publication, “Gaon Kalyan Samiti” and submitted to TMST. This publication was released by Sri Naveen Pattanaik, Honorable Chief Minister of Orissa.
In this assignment, New Concept specifically completed the following tasks:
- Documentation, compilation, collection and rewriting of success stories, highlighting the best practices and replicable approaches during the campaign in Orissa. It involved collation of project information, rewriting and editing the success stories
- Four-colour design and layout of the publication, and printing